Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bobby Ra-who the fuck?

So let’s put this out there right off of the bat ok? I was never a big B.o.B guy. I have some friends who would rather listen to a Waka Flocka Flames freestyle for three hours than download a B.o.B song, and I have some friends who swear up and down that B.o.B is the truth.

Despite not being a big fan, I’ve been well aware of this fellow’s track record over the past year or so, as he was being heralded as the MC that would put the NC on the map. Fast-forward now to May 5th, 2010 and B.o.B is putting out his first major label debut B.o.B presents: The adventures of Bobby Ray. An album that I could not escape like Snuggie commercials on late night TV. It seemed like this body of music has not only been hyped from here to Kanagawa Japan and back again, but it has received the biggest promotional push I’ve seen in years for any artist’s first album.

With those being the facts, I figure what the hell. Let me uphold my duty as a law breaking citizen of the 21st century and download this album and give it a fair chance. I would give the guy who’s name no-one-could-pronounce-at-first a shot at proving that he lived up to the hype I had endured hearing for the past two months. Well, what follows is my reaction. And in case you’e somewhat sesitive, I’ll warn you now that I’m not rushing out to purchase any of this dudes shit.













My very first impression? They really, really, really tried to sell this album. Take a look at the roll call of artists present on nine out of fourteen total tracks. Literally everyone from Hayley Williams (Paramore) and the Knux to heavy radio hitters like Lupe Fiasco, T.I., and Eminem (That’s not to mention fellow up and comers Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae) They jam packed this disc with more collaborations than Nike SB had in 2007 and yet somehow I’m not convinced.

Follow me on this one. If B.o.B is the man who is going to not only put the NC on the map, but also be one of the biggest forces in helping to usher in a new school of rappers…you’d think he would absolutely impress me on at least a few songs on his album right?

Where was that on the album? Since the very first day that I hear a B.o.B track, probably somewhere around two years ago. I have never been blown away by his skills on the microphone. There is something lacking to me, maybe it’s his voice, maybe it’s that he was so closely tied to a streetwear culture that was exiting at the time he came out or maybe it’s just plain and simple the fact that as a rapper he is just good at best.

Take a serious look at it. When I think of the other up and coming rappers in the game-I’m talking about a Drake, J.Cole, Cudi, Pac Div, Wale, hell even throw blu in there. They have all at least once succeeded in make me stop, nod my head and go, “Damn, yeah he deserves the hype. That was ridiculous.” I am not getting this from B.oB. Theres a few tracks I kind of enjoyed but B.o.B succeeded once again in losing me over the course of his verses.

There’s some light on the album. the album has some cool production and some verses from B.o.B that are highly listen-to-able but again not stunning. The man has talent and I respect the degree to which he’s promoted himself and succeeded to date but to all my brethren out there calling out his name in adulation. Is this really the savior of the NC? The fore bearer of the new movement? He’s cool guys I suppose but I don’t feel like this is the best out there. I think there needs to be some competition, maybe from the NC, maybe from somewhere else but this can’t really be it?

From the amount of hype so many of you guys gave him, the absurd supporting cast assembled around Bobby Ray to make the album a success and the largely slick production throughout B.o.B still failed to make me a believer.

No par intended for those who are a fan of the man, all the more power to you. I even took it easy on him in this article. There’s a lot of things that could have been brought to light here but I feel like it’s counter productive to really shape any one’s thoughts who may be reading this and accepting it as truth without listening for themselves.

The essential problem is this.

I just feel as though maybe B.o.B was raised onto a platform to be a savior and star and perhaps maybe we all moved a little fast in choosing him to be the artist standing on that platform.

At some point I think there needed to be a step back and analyzing of this man’s skill and ability to ‘wow’ on a track before we all cosigned his proclamation as rap’s Airplane in his own words. That goes for everyone from the NC to L.A. and in between. Best of luck to the artist on future releases. I’ll be listening, and should he inspire, paying for the music as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment