Monday, June 7, 2010

Boom Bap

In the recent world of music blasting fourth from the speakers of my room, good old fashioned boom bap Hip-Hop has been in high demand. Sometimes I get into these streaks in which I just need to hear the most loud, often belligerent, and straight up rap possible. For me, straight up rap doesn’t mean I turn to a Biggie CD or a classic Nas album, in this case it means I turn to newcomers to the genre, Dom Kennedy and Pac Div.


DOM KENNEDY


Dom Kennedy’s newest tape "From the Westside with Love" release just a few months ago and due to a great review from the brother Brandon(!) I picked up the tape for review. I could not be more happy in my decision. Kennedy has one of the most layed back, graceful voices to lace a rap track in years and whether or not he stuns you with his lyrics you will no doubt leave a listening session with at least four phrases to raise your ego in the face of any situation. Dom is the kind of rapper who effortlessly laces beats in a manner that makes listening to his tape an absolute pleasure, I’ve found the soundtrack to my summer.

Pac Div

In continuing with the trend of tracks that can knock off the door off of the room I would be remiss not to bring up the goodness Pac Div (Pacific Division) have been pushing out lately. When the Pac Div first released I was immediately a fan. This brand is about enjoying the good times given, and Pac Div make the perfect soundtrack to that lifestyle. With that being said, there were doubts initially as to how Pac Div would survive in the genre, and as to their ability to continue to produce. Well, their latest material should have every doubter silenced. Not only have they managed to retain their vibrancy and childlike playfulness while gracing the beat, they have evolved their style into a complex blend of beat riding euphoria that will have you doing the “Mayor” across the dance floor all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment